COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT MANAGER - NEW HAVEN
BACKGROUND: The Northeast Charter Schools Network is the membership and advocacy organization for the more than 300 charter schools in New York and Connecticut. Its mission is to support and expand high quality charter schools. The organization was established in 2000 as the New York Charter Schools Association and in 2013 expanded its work into Connecticut. It is the only statewide charter school advocacy organization in New York and Connecticut and is the only regional charter association in the country.
POSITION: In support of the newly-designed 50,000 Voices Program, and reporting to the Director of Community Engagement, the Community Engagement Manager (CEM) will build and execute strategic local advocacy plans and undertake strategic relationship-building activities. This CEM will work specifically to ensure that charter schools have the local champions and support needed to thrive.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Develop and execute an outreach and relationship-building strategy that seeks to build a robust pool of committed ambassadors and champions supporting the assigned charter school(s) specifically and Connecticut’s public charter schools.
- Identify and engage with top influencers with whom a relationship could advance the schools’ work, including individuals, organizations, coalitions, companies, business leaders, faith leaders, or nonprofit partners
- Develop and maintain relationships with key influencers and policy makers of strategic importance to the school by using a relationship-building approach that moves stakeholders deliberately along a continuum of support
- Find and create opportunities for the school to engage with key stakeholders, for community-building and information-sharing, including but not limited to school visits, tours, information sessions, town hall meetings, and other events
- Regularly attend various community events – from Board of Education and City Council meetings to special events at partner organizations, using them as opportunities to build relationships and further connect schools to the community-at-large
- Create a plan for the development of community-based partnerships between the school and local organizations, including a strategy to keep them informed of important news and priorities for the school
- Coordinate with NECSN and local communications team to develop a school-based media/communications strategy in support of policy efforts, including targeted messaging for all levels of engagement
- Deep commitment to NECSN’s mission that public charter schools are a vital way to provide access to high-quality educational options to students
- 3+ years of professional experience in communications, development, operations, or volunteer management position required, experience in education/non-profits preferred
- Demonstrated ties to the local community through civic engagement activities such as work with local government, community organizations or clergy organizations
- Excellent relationship-building and relationship management skills, including an ability to connect with people from all backgrounds and walks of life
- Excellent project management skills, with the ability to develop plans, manage/prioritize multiple tasks, and work autonomously under the pressure of deadlines
- Microsoft Excel and database experience (including Customer Relationship Management (CRM) experience) preferred, but not required
The position is based out of New Haven and will require travel to the organization’s office also in New Haven and some travel throughout the state. This position is available immediately and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and we offer a comprehensive benefits package.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include “Community Engagement Manager (New Haven) - [YOUR NAME]” in the subject line. Please be sure to specifically mention in the subject line the region for which you are applying.
At NECSN, we deeply value the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our staff in strengthening our collective work and mission to deliver a great education to all kids. NECSN is an equal opportunity employer and we highly encourage applicants of diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply.