CONNECTICUT ADVOCACY MANAGER
BACKGROUND: The Northeast Charter Schools Network (NECSN) is the membership and advocacy organization for public charter schools in New York and Connecticut. The organization was established in 2000 originally as the New York Charter Schools Association and in 2013 expanded its work into Connecticut. Our mission is to support and grow the high-quality charter school movement in both states, which we do through advocacy, public awareness and school support services. It is the only statewide charter school advocacy organization in New York and Connecticut and is the only regional charter association in the country.
POSITION: Reporting to the Connecticut State Director, the Connecticut Advocacy Manager will serve as a liaison to schools and engage Connecticut’s public charter schools in our state and local advocacy work. They will work closely with the Connecticut team to build and support relationships with the state’s charter schools, community partnerships (faith leaders, government and community leaders etc.) and support NECSN's state and local advocacy campaigns.
- Build and maintain relationships with NECSN member schools, school leaders, staff, and parents in the state. Build partnerships and represent NECSN in coalitions with other advocacy and community-based organizations. Assist with new school development projects.
- Engage member schools to become more involved in NECSN's state and local advocacy efforts. Work with NECSN's communications team to elevate the voices of NECSN's member schools in Connecticut media. Keep member schools informed of important legal and policy developments affecting charter schools.
- Engage Connecticut charter school communities in state and local advocacy campaigns, including legislative advocacy, public hearings, and earned media efforts. Host and/or co-host events that build community within Connecticut’s education advocacy movement.
- Support NECSN's member services team by identifying member school needs and connecting schools to advocacy and/or school improvement services, as appropriate.
- Deep commitment to NECSN’s mission that public charter schools are a vital way to provide access to high quality educational options to students
- Prior experience with charter schools and/or education advocacy preferred
- Bachelor’s degree and at least two to three years of professional experience, preferably in education, education policy or advocacy
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated leadership ability to motivate others and connect with school communities
- Experience working with diverse range of communities
- Strong project management or organizational skills
- Demonstrated record as both a team player and a self-starter, including exceptional organization and time management skills, a demonstrated ability to design a work plan, prioritize and meet goals under pressure, a good sense of humor and an innovative spirit
- Ability to work non-traditional hours, including weekday evenings and weekends
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment with multiple and varied assignments
- Ready and willing to provide thought-leadership on new projects and tasks
- Positive can-do attitude and willingness to go the extra mile
- Microsoft Excel and database experience preferred, but not required
- Ability to work non-traditional hours, including weekday evenings and some weekends
The position is based out of New Haven, but will require travel throughout the state and to the state capitol in Hartford, particularly during the legislative session. This position is available immediately and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and we offer a comprehensive benefits package.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter, resume and writing sample not to exceed ten pages to email@example.com and include “Connecticut Advocacy Manager - [YOUR NAME]” in the subject line.
At NECSN, we deeply value the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our staff in strengthening our collective work and mission to deliver a great education to all kids. NECSN is an equal opportunity employer and we highly encourage applicants of diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply.