Director of Business Development
SchoolWorks is an education consulting group whose mission is to advance all aspects of student learning and well-being. We represent a diverse client base including departments of education, school districts, charter school authorizers, charter management organizations, charter schools, district schools, K-12 service providers, and foundations.
The primary responsibility of the Director of Business Development is to cultivate and establish new opportunities for SchoolWorks to have a positive impact on student achievement and well-being. The Director of Business Development will collaborate with the President in establishing and maintaining stakeholder relationships, as well as managing all aspects of a sales cycle. The Director of Business Development will be responsible for writing project proposals. In addition, the Director of Business Development will support the Director of Project Management and Project Managers in ensuring successful execution of those projects. Such projects may include:
- Accountabilty and Design Services. We support departments of education, city school districts, and charter school authorizers design school accountability frameworks. We also review and evaluate new school proposals, and assist our clients in making high-stakes decisions about existing schools. Finally, we support entities in reviewing and evaluating the work of charter school authorizers.
- Quality Reviews. We measure a school’s performance against a set of research-based criteria in order to identify strengths and areas for improvement, develop an objective, evidence-based report on school quality, and collaborate with the school to create an action plan to improve student achievement.
- Instructional Supports. We design a process for a school to collect and analyze data on student attainment, curriculum implementation and classroom instruction to inform school improvement planning and make decisions about how best to manage teaching and learning. We also provide coaching and professional development for teachers.
- Leadership Supports. Our leadership coaches collaborate with school leaders to help them develop the skills, knowledge, and behavior needed to improve organizational capacity, resulting in change that is systematic and sustainable. We also provide school and district improvement planning services.
- Lead Partner Services. We revitalize some of the nation’s lowest-performing schools by developing and implementing actionable plans to enable schools to become and stay high-performing. In addition, we collaborate with clients to write quality charter school applications that present a clear, realistic picture of how the school expects to operate and inspires confidence in the applicant’s capacity to carry out the plan effectively.
- Special Projects. We meet the unique consulting needs of our clients through intensive, focused engagements that result in a specific set of outcomes.
The Director of Business Development will:
- Cultivate new opportunities for SchoolWorks to have a positive impact on student achievement and well-being, while simultaneously building SchoolWorks brand and Continuum of Services.
- Collaborate with the President in business development activities and will manage all aspects of the sales cycle, including the identification and tracking of opportunities, and the development of project proposals and/or responses to requests for proposals from potential clients;
- Support the President, Project Coordinator, and/or Business Manager with updating and maintaining project information within Projector, SchoolWorks project management software;
- Interact with clients, the Director of Project Management, Project Managers, and consultants on a daily basis to understand project requirements and needs, and to create project specific workplans to guide timely and accurate completion of all project tasks;
- Lead the company’s social media presence and online communications (including ensuring the website is current and updated); and
- Lead and oversee accurate and timely collection of data related to the company’s strategic goals (including all team, school, client and staff surveys).
The exceptional candidate will excel in the following competencies:
- Mission and Values Alignment: Demonstrates passion for having a positive impact on student achievement and learning; embraces accountability for results, and a collaborative, evidence-based approach to solving problems with stakeholders representing a diversity of perspectives.
- Stakeholder Management: Develops strong and trusting relationships with others; is respectful to all stakeholders and mitigates risk to SchoolWorks even in under challenging circumstances.
- Planning and Execution: Manages time and resources effectively; prioritizes efforts according to organizational goals. Compares actual progress to planned milestones and adjusts plans accordingly.
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving: Gathers information from different sources; sifts through complexity; analyzes and synthesizes information (the big picture and details), and proposes relevant solutions.
- Achievement Orientation: Sets challenging goals and follows through to get results. Has a history of personal success and achieving excellence.
- Communication: Listens carefully; speaks and writes in a compelling way.
- Attention to Detail: Focuses on detail in planning logistics, and anticipates and proactively addresses potential challenges.
- Superior relationship-building and relationship management skills
- Superior attention to detail
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment
- Ability to prioritize among tasks and complete them all successfully on a timely basis
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- In-depth knowledge of Microsoft Office 2013 applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. SharePoint and DropBox knowledge a plus.
Compensation and Location
This is a full-time, exempt position, which will report to the President. Compensation will be commensurate with experience. The individual hired will ideally be based in the Midwest or on the East Coast. Candidates must be able to travel.
To apply, please visit https://www.schoolworks.org/about-us/careers/. Interested candidates should upload a résumé, cover letter outlining the candidate’s interest in the position, and a recent writing sample. No telephone calls please.
SchoolWorks is an equal opportunity employer.