Submit a resume along with 1 example of a written work product and 1 example of a visual/design work product.
This role will be a key part of our leadership team. In this role, the Director of Communications, will lead one of our three key workstreams, Sector Promotion and Public Education, in partnership with those of Political Strategy and Advocacy, and Community and School Engagement, across both state associations and for NECSN as a whole.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the design and drive the organization’s communications and marketing strategy.
- Lead the development of the organization’s communications and marketing annual plans, goals and calendar.
- In partnership with CFO, develop resource plan and budget for communications and marketing needs in support of strategy, plans, goals, and calendar.
- In partnership with leadership team, identify, hire/contract, and manage any employees, consultants, vendors or products needed to support this workstream.
- Own delivery of plans and management of budget for communications and marketing.
- Oversee all public relations functions and establish New York Charter Schools Association’s and the Connecticut Charter Schools Association’s public presence with key audiences.
- Direct all press outreach, relations and communications.
- Write, design and produce of all publications including announcements, social media, collateral, videos, and reports and annual reports.
- Support writing, design and production of all content related to fundraising and membership publications and events.
- Share leadership of event planning and production for multiple audiences, including press, policy and individual and institutional donors.
- Oversee a variety of short pieces that include social media posts, advocacy updates, articles, and op eds.
- Manage daily electronic communications functions, including but not limited to:
- Maintaining and designing website, including back-end functions;
- Editing and writing content;
- Managing social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn);
- Evaluating new channels for reaching key audiences;
- Designing and distributing e-newsletters and specialized email communications; and,
- Deploying online tools for advocacy and membership campaigns, marketing, fundraising and other targeted communications.
- Plan and maintain content, look and flow of websites and consistent organizational image and increased presence across the web.
- Shoot, edit and produce still and video imagery for website and staff presentations.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 5-7 years of experience in public relations, media, marketing or nonprofit communications.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills, preferably with experience utilizing CRM systems in marketing and communications strategies.
- Experience conducting media relations with up-to-date NY and CT contacts.
- Experience in producing outstanding communications and marketing materials in all media including print, web, social media, and video.
- Experience producing communications for successful advocacy, membership and development campaigns and events.
Expectations of the Role:
- Shared passion for NECSN’s mission and culture
- Strong organizational skills; ability to manage multiple projects
- Commitment to collaboration and adding value as a member of a leadership team
- Ability and willingness to travel throughout NY and CT (approximately 10-40%) and to other cities (occasionally)